Thursday, June 17

So it's official now?

Although we have been training for weeks now to build up our base, official training started on Tuesday.  I was not feeling that well at 6 a.m. when Max jumped out of bed and took off around the island.  He came back saying he had one of his best runs averaging 8 minute miles, and the weather was perfect.  Lucky him! And, to make matters worse for me, I had a hair appointment downtown after work to get highlights.  Feeling jealous of Max's early morning success, I came up with a plan.  I brought my backpack and running clothes to work, changed before my walk to the hairdresser, and planned to run home with everything on my back. 

As wonderful as the plan sounds, it was a HUGE failure.  As soon as I started running with my soaking wet hair flying all over, the backpack was bouncing irratically in all directions.  The straps dug in and rubbed on my neck, and the pack flew from side to side.  Discouraged, I started walking.  Now, anyone that knows me well knows I don't accept defeat.  I quickly realized that walking would take too long, so I rolled up the pack under my arm the best I could and started running home, changing the weight from side to side as my arms got tired.  I have never been so happy to see my apartment! I dropped my bag in the kitchen, and I decided to make up for the walk/run effort by running another 3 miles.  Lucky for me, I have an amazing boyfriend who had dinner started by the time I got home!

Last night was a bit better.  Max and I did a 4 miler together.  The weather was gorgeous for running, but we were both sore from our "cross training" attempt on Sunday that included more backward lunges than a person should do in a lifetime.  That said, our pace was a hair faster than a 9 minute mile - quite slow for us .  Even so, it was enough to celebrate completing day 2.  Max was really happy that his Nike+ moved him up a level :) Today is a new day...


No comments:

Post a Comment