For our long run this Saturday, we decided to break away from our typical route around Castle Island and UMASS Boston to map out a new route - with less sun. With forecasters calling for temperatures to reach the mid 90's by 10 a.m., I was a bit concerned. The humidity on Friday was so intense that merely walking was a big effort. Refusing to give in to mother nature, we packed our bags with snacks, filled up our water belts, and went to bed early in order to be up for the 5:30 a.m. alarm.
Saturday morning I did not need the alarm. Around 5 a.m., I felt a weird sensation on my face like someone was breathing on me, and I opened my eyes to find my cat leaning over me as if to check if I were alive. Maybe we are a bit crazy if even the cat has caught on! Anyway, I figured it was useless to try to fall back asleep, so I jumped out of bed and started getting ready. By the time Max woke up, I was raring to get on the road.
The drive to Endicott College was not all that exciting, even with the top down in the Jeep. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts where I scoffed down half a bagel- just enough to give me some energy without causing running cramps. Since it was so early, there were barely any cars on the road, and we made excellent time.
The run itself was amazing. I wish I had captured some of the beauty we saw - the scenic views of the ocean and islands, the clan of bicyclists we past multiple times (as they made many pit stops yet had a slightly faster pace overall), and many gorgeous houses. I was able to show Max the grocery store I used to shop at as a kid, the cafe where my mom and I ate BLTs on special occasions, the place I used to take ballet, and the beach I spent many nights hanging out with friends in high school. Thinking back on all of those times, I realized that a digital photo can never tell the story of a memory... and now I can add to those memories the time that I ran around Manchester for 2 hours with my wonderful boyfriend! Success on a 12 miler :)
No comments:
Post a Comment